I decided to migrate my blog over to Blogger – long story behind that, but so it goes. If you’re still interested in following along, please update your bookmarks to
See you soon! Happy crafting!
Another UFO bites the dust! I pieced this little quilt top at LEAST three years ago. I opted to keep it small just to get it done, especially since I’m not particularly attached to it and didn’t want to spend a ton of time on it. I also have the panel from the same Moda line, which has been pieced but not yet quilted.
I finally broke out of my crafting funk! Anyone still here to read about it?
I decided to make Kiarda her first big quilt (I made her a small floor quilt before she was born for tummy time and the like). The focus fabric is the paisley that I used to make her room decor stuff. I’ve had this pattern and fabrics hanging around since before she was born, and I figured now was a good time to make it for her. It took about 20 hours total. I’m particularly pleased with how my binding came out (save the one off miter on the back by the label, the only one that got photographed, go figure!). I used Sharon Schamber’s gluing method, and MAN, that binding is damn near perfect. I’ll be using it every time – it’s so worth the results!
Kiarda loves her new quilt! She got all excited this morning when I gave it to her. She proceeded to dance on it, roll all over it, pretend to go to sleep on it, and just be silly on it. While she likes to get tucked in on the couch, she still doesn’t want blankets in her crib, so she’s not currently using the quilt for covers at sleep times. Ah well…in due time.
Here are a few pictures of the silliness:
She’s got a pretty good downward dog, dontcha think?
The label. I decided at the last minute to use some of the leftover binding around the label, and I like how it turned out! ”Futterflies” is how Kiarda says “butterflies” right now, and it seemed appropriate given the backing fabric.
I also found a mini quilt – likely a round robin quilt in progress, from the looks of the piecing – in my UFO pile tonight. I think I inherited this from somehwere, because I can’t for the life of me place where it came from. It did have the coordinating fabrics with it to continue adding onto the center. I opted to just square it up as is, quilt it, and bind it. I’m pleased with my binding, but I’m still figuring out what the “magic” strip length is so that I can machine stitch down the back of it and not have too much extra overhang. I went with 2.25″ on this one, and I think 2 1/8″ woudl be perfect. Ah well.
Again, I didn’t piece it. It did lay flat, though, so that’s good. It came out ok overall though!
I have been wanting to make Christmas stockings for my husband and myself since we got married. I decided to wait until after we had children to do it, though, so we could have a family set. I did not get to make them in time for Kiarda’s first Christmas, given that at that time I was averaging about three hours of sleep a night spread across the entire night.
Each will have a white cuff with the person’s name on it. There will be a few embroidered details, as well as a few snowflake sequins added to the background of each one. I think I will opt for a “less is more” with these – I want them to be whimsical and too much detail can detract from that. The stockings will be lined. I may use fun prints for the insides…will have to dig through my stash and see what I can find!
I finished my embroidered pillow case for Kiarda! The zipper is a bit wonky, but it was truly an afterthought so whatever. (She won’t notice, I think!) I’m pleased overall with how the embroidery came out. I have never done “fill” embroidery, and I clearly got better as I went along. I only have one picture right now, and it was taken with my phone’s camera as I lent my regular camera to a friend for the weekend. I’ll post close-ups when I get it back. The letters came out much better than the lady bugs, but I did the bugs first and well, there was a learning curve. You get the idea, though!
I realized I hadn’t updated since I finished the things for Kiarda’s nursery! I made a valance, crib skirt, pillow for the rocking chair (my first zipper!), and painted some letters for the wall. I don’t have much to say, so I’ll just post lots of pictures!