Been busy!

I haven’t posted in what seems like forever. Just as the weather was turning nice enough to open the windows (and therefore not die of heat exhaustion in my sewing room), we found out we were pregnant! Needless to say, the fatigue of the first trimester put an abrupt halt on any potential crafting. I’m hoping there’s still someone here to read! 😀

Now I’m almost to the third trimester (Kiarda Nicole is due July 11!), and I’ve been busy making stuff for the nursery as well as stash-busting. My sister is pregnant as well, and due about 5 weeks before me. I made a few things for my soon-to-be-here niece, Eva.

Brace yourself, lots of pictures!

First, the nursery fabric I picked out for Kiarda.
Photobucket

I’m glad I bought extra, because it doesn’t exist anymore. This was the Makower challenge fabric, and they told me that it has been discontinued. I can’t find it ANYwhere now. I love it! The walls will be the light aqua color, with an accent wall of the medium blue.

Here is the wallhanging for Kiarda’s nursery, which matches the one I made for my sister’s baby in design. The paisley looks odd from a distance, and the colors didn’t turn out quite right in the picture. The lighting in my sewing room isn’t the best for picture-taking!
Kiarda wallhanging top

Close-up:
Kiarda wallhanging close-up

Backing fabric and binding – it’s hard to tell but the design on the binding coordinates perfectly with the blue cupcake wrapper!
Kiarda wallhanging backing

This is the one I made for my sister. The print fabric is what she’s using in her nursery.
Photobucket

Close-up:
Photobucket

I have been trying to do some stash-busting. As I started pulling out coordinating fabrics, I ended with enough for two tops of similar colors. I didn’t realize I had so much pink, turquoise, and lime green LOL.

A Snapshots by Atkinson Designs top. This will probably end up being a floor quilt/tummy time quilt for Kiarda. The dark pink border actually coordinates with one of the fabrics, but you can’t tell from a distance, or really, the close-up I took, oops! It will also be used for the binding. I couldn’t get the color to come out quite right – there is a pretty dark, royal purple and a chocolate brown with skinny black swirls on it. This entire quilt, backing included, is 100% stash!
Flamingo Snapshots top

Fabric close-up (see the flamingos?). The colors of the dots are pink, blue, brown, and green – so perfect for this top!
Flamingo Snapshots close-up

Backing for this top:
Flamingo Snapshots backing

A Turning 20 top in progress (blocks), also by Atkinson Designs. I just finished piecing the top (sans border – need to get some black fabric) but took this picture once I got the blocks up on the design wall. The binding will be turquoise, which I have also already made.
Turning 20 blocks

Fabric close-up:
Turning 20 close-up

Backing fabric – LOVE these cute frogs!
Turning 20 backing

Pirate Flag mini quilt

Yay, I can post this now! Toni was my partner in the ALQS round two swap. What are the chances? I know literally it was like 1 in 66, but c’mon – the ONLY person I actually KNOW, online OR in real life, was my partner? Anyways… 😀

I figured that the Quilting Pirate needed a Jolly Roger, since she didn’t have a quilted one yet! I made his kerchief purple, her favorite color. The squee on her voicemail made me think she liked it. 😉 I was pleased, because for the first time, I think, my binding came out PERFECT. Whee for me!
Photobucket

They’re both done!

Cookies & Cream is finally done. It took me almost six hours to do the handwork on the binding alone – eek! My fingers are feeling it. I stabbed myself more than a few times, and the backside of the needle kept digging into part of my thumb. The quilt was just washed tonight (to pucker it, my favorite part!) and is currently in the dryer.

Quilt on our king-sized bed with the coordinating pillowcases:
Photobucket

Close-up:
Photobucket

Label (sorry, it’s a little blurry):
Photobucket

I also just finished making the sleeve for this one, which I called “Seeds of Summer.” The sleeve is too low, though, so I may take it off and redo it. I also haven’t washed this one yet, and I need to block it when I do. This little quilt is about 40″ x 40″ and is hanging in the office. It’s my ode to why I don’t finish my bindings by hand. About eight inches on the back actually looks good, but that was the last part I did and I tried using my overcast foot, which worked well. I had actually finished the top and quilting in May, began the binding in June, but got sidetracked when my sister-in-law came to visit. It’s done now!

Seeds of Summer:
Photobucket

Close-up of quilting. I did curly-Qs and wrote the word “summer” all over it in cursive every which direction. It’s interesting – my FMQ cursive is better than my handwritten cursive (which I NEVER use). Weird.
Photobucket