I finally broke out of my crafting funk! Anyone still here to read about it?
I decided to make Kiarda her first big quilt (I made her a small floor quilt before she was born for tummy time and the like). The focus fabric is the paisley that I used to make her room decor stuff. I’ve had this pattern and fabrics hanging around since before she was born, and I figured now was a good time to make it for her. It took about 20 hours total. I’m particularly pleased with how my binding came out (save the one off miter on the back by the label, the only one that got photographed, go figure!). I used Sharon Schamber’s gluing method, and MAN, that binding is damn near perfect. I’ll be using it every time – it’s so worth the results!
Kiarda loves her new quilt! She got all excited this morning when I gave it to her. She proceeded to dance on it, roll all over it, pretend to go to sleep on it, and just be silly on it. While she likes to get tucked in on the couch, she still doesn’t want blankets in her crib, so she’s not currently using the quilt for covers at sleep times. Ah well…in due time.
Here are a few pictures of the silliness:
She’s got a pretty good downward dog, dontcha think?
The label. I decided at the last minute to use some of the leftover binding around the label, and I like how it turned out! “Futterflies” is how Kiarda says “butterflies” right now, and it seemed appropriate given the backing fabric.
I also found a mini quilt – likely a round robin quilt in progress, from the looks of the piecing – in my UFO pile tonight. I think I inherited this from somehwere, because I can’t for the life of me place where it came from. It did have the coordinating fabrics with it to continue adding onto the center. I opted to just square it up as is, quilt it, and bind it. I’m pleased with my binding, but I’m still figuring out what the “magic” strip length is so that I can machine stitch down the back of it and not have too much extra overhang. I went with 2.25″ on this one, and I think 2 1/8″ woudl be perfect. Ah well.
Again, I didn’t piece it. It did lay flat, though, so that’s good. It came out ok overall though!